Welcome to the Organ-on-a-Chip Technologies Network
An organ-on-a-chip is an engineered system in which the architecture, functions and surrounding physiochemical environment of a living human organ are recreated, allowing drugs or therapies to be tested on an in vitro system which recapitulates the in vivo one. The development of organ-on-a-chip in vitro models has grown from a nascent idea in 2000 to one of the most promising, fastest growing research areas in the world, predicted to achieve a compound growth rate of 38-57% over the next 5 years to become a multi-billion pound industry.
Our network aims are to:
- Develop a vibrant multidisciplinary research community, bringing focus to the varied Organ-on-a-Chip and In Vitro model research activity in the UK;
- Facilitate inter-disciplinary and inter-sectoral research collaborations, to develop the next generation of organ-on-a-chip research solutions;
- To train, support and inspire the next generation of outstanding leaders in organ-on-a-chip research.
- An almost poetic deffinition from Dr Lorna Ewart @AstraZeneca "The design of the Organ-Chips allows us to create a home-away-from-home for the cells so they behave in an authentic manner."
Glad to know about the projects to look deeper into cellular response in #OrganOnChips https://t.co/bVG4sTqt5p
- In our latest guest blog post, Dr Lorna Ewart describes @AstraZeneca's new partnership with @emulatebio which will accelerate the application of Organs-on-Chips technology in AstraZeneca's drug discovery programmes, reducing their reliance on animal models https://t.co/Swj0M3TdOj
- Predicting side effects before they happen: A miracle of Organ-on-a-Chip technology: https://t.co/3XWR5w2cGE @wyssinstitute @OrganOnAChip @3dheals @emulatebio @DAFOH_org #organonachip #mircofluidics #medicine #health https://t.co/IaXQeh62QM